Morecambe 1-3Mansfield Town (Match report)

Mansfield Town moved to within just one point of the play-off places with a convincing 1-3 victory over Morecambe at the Globe Arena.

It did not take long for Mansfield to open the scoring, Danny Rose who put the ball in the net on a half volley from 14 yards after McDonald played the ball through to the striker.

Morecambe replied almost immediately, A long ball up from Barry Roche in the Shrimps goal, Mullin was able to push the defender out of the way and slotted home from the middle of the box. Shouts for a foul on Howkins but he had none of it and it was level.

After the first two goals, the game was a scrappy affair with both sides having chances to take the lead.

Mansfield got themselves back in front when Whiteman played Rose through who drove the shot into the net much to the disappointment of Roche who did get a hand to it but was unable to stop it hitting the net.

Morecambe could not reply this time, in fact just after Rose putting his goal scoring tally into double figures for the season the game was put beyond any doubt before half time as Coulthirst got the ball on the edge of the area, which he squared for Whiteman to set himself and place it into the bottom corner of the net.

Just before half time, the home side had a chance to reduce the deficit but Kevin Ellison’s attack was stopped by the assistant referee’s flag for offside.


The second half was full of chances the majority for the away side who’s fans were in full song for the full ninety minutes which their manager applauded in his post-match press conference.

Mansfield had the chances to embarrass Morecambe but even their finishing was well below parr in the second half.

The on loan Blackburn goalkeeper Jake Kean had to be alert at the start of the second half, when Morecambe broke after kick-off but he was able to deal with the shot from Rhys Turner which he turned around the post for a corner.

After that the home side tried their best to show that they were not laying down and did so by winning three successive corners but they could do nothing with them as the third one was caught by Kean.

The second half was a case of a goalkeeping show, with both goalkeepers saving well from attempts at their goal. This time it was Roche. The ball was fed to Danny Rose from Coulthirst but his effort from 12 yards was saved by the Morecambe goalkeeper.

After that both sides cancelled each other out of possession, and after five added minutes from referee Robert Jones the game was drawn to a close, with Mansfield moving ever closer to the top seven.

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-lang=”en”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>Post: Morecambe 1-3 Mansfield Town <a href=””></a></p>&mdash; Aidan Jones (@ajones_media) <a href=”″>March 25, 2017</a></blockquote>


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s